By default, the function to find lost laptops is disabled in Windows 10. You should activate it for safety reasons so that you can find your notebook in an emergency. The function is called Find my device or in German: “Find my device”.
Tip: You can find out how to find the location of Windows Laptop here: Locating Windows: How it works.
Windows 10: locate your laptop and find your notebook again – how it works
To find lost laptops, you have to activate the Find my device function in Windows 10.
The habit of regularly downloading and installing updates that Microsoft offers you through its operating system is very good. Because some of those new updates will allow you to find your lost laptop using the trace function with Windows 10.
Allow Microsoft to record your device’s regular location ranges and make sure you’re the administrator. This feature is very easy to use, and what it does is it sends its exact location from time to time to your Microsoft account. For this to work, you will need to log in with your Microsoft account.
If you do not have an account, you will be given the option to configure it, since you will need it to do the tracking. To access this feature, you must follow the steps below:
- Enter “Settings”.
- Then to “Update and security”.
- In the menu on the left, search for and select “Search for my device”. If Windows 10 doesn’t save the location of your device on a regular basis. To change this, you will need to click the “Change” button, found in the “Search for my device” section.
- After clicking the Change button, activate “Save my device location periodically.” Once you have completed this, the function will be activated.
- When you need to locate your laptop, the first place to look is the Microsoft website. By entering the same login account you are using on the device you are looking for.
- Find your Windows 10 device in the list of devices that you have registered in your account and select “Find my device”, located right next to the device you are looking for.
- After a moment, you will receive the information about the last location of your device, and it will also show it on a map. Assuming that the GPS continues on and with internet access. And that the person who found it wants to return it to you.
If you have lost your laptop, you can find the location of the laptop on the Microsoft website.
Determine laptop position – Here’s how
To determine the position of the Windows 10 laptop, you do the following:
- Open your browser.
- Visit the account.microsoft.com/devices website. If necessary, log in with your Microsoft account. Use the same user data that you used to log on to the lost laptop in Windows 10.
- Select the Windows 10 device whose position you want to find out and click on the corresponding button.
Note: If your notebook is on, the current position is determined. Otherwise, the last known position is displayed on the Microsoft website.
If the thief doesn’t return your laptop, will they have access to your information?
Log in to your Microsoft account (obviously, from another device when stolen), select Start> Settings> Account>. Check the information to make sure you are the administrator.
Lock your Windows device remotely, when you find it on the map, Select Lock> Next. Once your device is locked, you can reset your password for added security.
When tracking your laptop for security we recommend blocking it to protect your data. In the same process, you can send a note with your contact number to the person who has it, to arrange delivery. It is a kind of screen protector, that when trying to start the laptop the person will not be able to access it because you blocked it remotely, but it will show the note.
So, remember that before panicking or calling the police when you lose your laptop, visit us and check this post, it is likely that you will find it near you. If you liked this article please share it with your friends and family. And see you in the next installment.